چند اصطلاح عامیانه در انگلیسی
On the dot
درست سر ساعت
درست به موقع
- I'll be there on the dot.
at three o'clock/seven thirty etc on the dot (=at exactly 3:00/7:30 etc)
- Mr Green arrived at six on the dot .
- I don’t want to be waiting for you, so you’d better be there at three o’clock on the dot.
- He’s supposed to show up at four on the dot. If he is late even a minute, I’m taking off.
- She hates it when I’m late, so I have to show up on the dot.
A short conversation with On the dot
A: "We have to go to Los Angeles tomorrow. What time should we meet?"
B: "We have to be at the airport at 4:00 o’clock, so let’s meet at two o’clock on the dot."
بیست و چهار ساعت، هر روز هفته/همیشه
1) Macdonald is a great resturant because they are open twenty-four seven.
2) If a business doesn’t provide twenty-four seven customer support, they will not succeed.
3) You better be careful because I’m going to be watching you twenty-four seven.
4) They’re available twenty four hours a day, 365 days a year.
A short dialog with Twenty-four seven
A: "What web hosting place do you recommend?"
B: "Most of them are pretty good. Just make sure they have twenty-four hour technical support."
A: "All of them have twenty-four seven support. It’s a necessity these days."
Under the weather
= Sick, ill, not well.
1) I'm feeling a little under the weather today. I think I'll stay home from work.
من امروز یکم ناخوشم. فکر کنم امروز خانه بمونم و سر کار نرم.
2) I’m going to stay home because I’m feeling under the weather today.
من میخواهم امروز خانه بمونم، آخه ناخوشم
3) I told my boss that I was under the weather. She told me to stay home for the day.
4) My wife is feeling under the weather, so I need to get home early today.
همسرم ناخوش، خب من باید امروز زودتر برم خانه
A short conversation with Under the weather
A: "Why didn’t you come to school today?"
B: "I was under the weather this morning. I need to get some rest."
A: "Well, I hope you start feeling better."
keep an eye on
چشمت بهش باشه
1) You have to keep an eye on those workers. One of them has been stealing french fries.
باید چشمت به این کارگرها باشد. یکی از آنها داشت سیب زمینی سرخ کرده می دزدید.
2) I'm going outside for a minute -- would you keep an eye on my books?
من دارم یک دقیقه می روم بیرون ممکن چشمت به کتابهام باشه؟
3) Can you keep an eye on my daughter while I go get the car?
ممکن چشمتون به دختر من باشه وقتی دارم می رم ماشین می گیرم.
4) Don’t worry about your baggage. I’ll keep an eye on it.
نگران چمدانهات نباش من چشم بهشون هست.
5) My mom will keep an eye on our equipment while we go get the car.
Etymology: Through your 'eyes' you see and understand the world, and when you 'keep an eye' on something, you constantly watch or monitor it to get a full understanding of what is happening.